Developing a website that speaks of your business, mission and vision is not a cake walk. There are many technicalities involved, which you must tackle out in a smart way to bring in the desired results. When it comes to website development, most people struggle with the dilemma whether to do it in-house or outsource.
Doing it in-house certainly helps your company save a big amount but that saving can even end up costing your business if in case the things aren’t done in the desired manner. The very first thing you need to figure out is whether or not you need to outsource the web development.
Read about Six steps to decide if you want to outsource
Step 1: Deciding if you need to outsource
If you are in a puzzle regarding outsourcing development, the evaluation of the following will help you figure out if you need to outsource it or do it in-house. You certainly need to outsource web development project, if you lag the following:
- Marketing leaders with expertise in guiding web strategy, defining the target audiences, defining the key success metrics
- Efficient graphic designers capable of designing unique, and appealing web designs
- Proficient web developers who can produce clean, effective code, and assimilate a CMS, easy to be updated on your website.
- Deciding if you are looking to get your project done with WordPress or any other CMS.
- Skilled copywriters capable of writing as per the search engine standards and your business needs
- Project managers capable of taking control over the time line and budget
Step 2: Finding out an Outsourcing Company
Once you have decided that you need to outsource website development, the next task is to find out the companies that can do the work for you. You can get through some outsourcing companies by:
- Locating on Google or any other search engine
- Seeking references from other business firms
- Placing ads
Step 3: Choosing the right vendor
Now that you have got a fair number of outsourced software development companies , it’s time to pick the one who will be perfect for your business. Here too, you will have to stick to some criteria in order to select the best and most authentic one. It is time to hire someone to build a website for your choice.
- Check the experience: Good work and experience can often be contradictory. However, when we talk of web development, it would always be better to go with a vendor that has good years of experience in the field as they will understand the requirements pretty well.
- Evaluate the work samples: You will be able to best judge the quality of their work once you get to check out some of their previous works. Ask for samples and demos so that you can figure out whether the company will be capable of developing the site as per your requirements or not.
- Check company infrastructure & quality certification: You will have to find out whether or not the company so selected has a good infrastructure or not. Also, check if they can produce any quality certification that proves their authenticity in the field.
- Company competence: This is one important thing to know. You must be aware of the fact if the vendor would be able to process your ideas and project needs. Unless the outsourcing company understands your project requirements, the end result can never be satisfactory.
- The manpower: Web development as we said in the beginning also, is not a child’s play. It requires expert and proficient minds to carry out the entire process right from designing to testing of the website. You must check out if the company you have chosen has good manpower. From developers to designers, everyone must be experienced and skilled enough to fulfill the task with perfection or least flaws.
- Mode of communication: As you build business ties with the company, you will have to interact with the concerned group of people within the organization. Check what mode of communication is being used there. English being the global language is a criterion must to be fulfilled by them.
- NDA: Though most of the outsourcing companies would be willing to sign up for the NDA (non-disclosure agreement) in the best interest of their clients, however; you must still make the point clear before sealing the deal so that there are no pitfalls ahead.
- Payment statistics: Once you feel that the prospective vendor is meeting all your business requirements, the next in line comes payment. You will have to see if it’s payment demand fits to your budget. If you feel that the demand isn’t feasible, you for sure can look for next company.
Step 4: Heading with Project Documentation
Once you have come across the right web developers, it’s time to take the project on-board. The very first thing you need to do is documenting the entire project. You must list what the project is all about, the target audience, the objectives and all other important aspects that you want to be implemented in the web development project. This documentation can then be sent to the outsourcing vendor either in the form of a mail, a scan or if the need be, you can send it as a hard copy as well whichever sounds more convenient and feasible.
Step 5: Weekly meetings
Monitoring the project from your end is very crucial. You must stay updated with each and every development so that nothing goes wrong through the process. It would always be better to hold weekly meetings wherein you will not only get to know about the progress of the task, but can even give in some inputs or order the changes if in case any required.
Step 6: The final dealing and payment
This is the final stage of your web development. Post the testing, the vendor will hand you over the site so developed. You can evaluate and see if it’s done as per your specifications. Changes can be made, if you feel there is a need. If all goes well, it’s time to make the due payment and put your site on action!
Following these six steps, can definitely assist you to outsource web development for your company.